Wednesday Exploratory Seminar
New this year, Wednesday Exploratory Seminars (WES) are designed to:
- Connect learning among the disciplines
- Spark wonder and creativity
- Develop critical thinking
- Reward intellectual risk-taking
- Stimulate student engagement
- Enhance communication skills
- Expand perspectives
The seminars do this by providing multi-disciplinary, problem-based, and experiential learning that connect skills and knowledge gained in core classes to real-world experience. Complementary seminars are designed to help students develop metacognition, study and organizational skills, and mindfulness.
Wednesday Exploratory Seminars include:
- Seminars that explore and expand knowledge and understanding of literature, writing, mathematics, science, history, and global issues and perspectives.
- Extended blocks of 70 minutes, providing adequate time for active, subject-integrated, problem-based experiences.
- Connections to core-class learning that is not numerically assessed to encourage intellectual risk-taking and authentic rather than strategic learning
- Multi-disciplinary instruction designed by faculty from diverse disciplines allowing students to connect biology and geometry, social studies and statistics, or music and math for examples.