Jr. Kindergarten & Kindergarten
The educational philosophy at St. Mary’s Academy encourages each child to explore, create, and thrive. We have designed an inspired play-based learning environment that allows children to have fun and feel at home. Our highly acclaimed teachers focus on the social-emotional development of individual students and teach using all five senses.
Junior Kindergarten (four-year-old program) and Kindergarten students are truly supported here—encouraged to try different experiences as they build confidence and new skills every day. We offer authentic learning opportunities, encouraging children to enjoy creative expression, practice motor development, and explore their place in the world.
It’s all in the numbers:
- 7-hour school day enables young learners to become familiar with school-day routine. School begins at 8:00 a.m. and concludes at 3:00 p.m. This includes a mid-day nap/rest time for the JK class!
- 13 distinct units building mathematical knowledge with the Building Blocks curriculum (by University of Denver professor Doug Clements who spoke at the White House this year about early childhood mathematics;)
- 14,490 minutes of child-directed play in a single school year;
- More than 2,400 minutes of one-to-one pre-literacy skill building with each student;
- 9 hours of beginning phonics, alphabet recognition and writing exposure each month including weekly writing workshops.
“I love the feeling of community while you are on campus.”